Friday 18 July 2014

'THE BOWL OF ALMONDS' - A CAUTIONARY TALE WITH A TWIST!


"Take of the best fruits in the land in your vessels, and carry down the man a present, a little balm, and a little honey, spices, and myrrh, nuts, and 
almonds..." 
(Genesis 43:11)


Just for a change, I'm going to write something much lighter in tone than my usual offerings, although - as you might have already guessed - it does indeed carry a serious message, as will duly be revealed!

Once upon a time, when I worked for the Social Services Department, part of my job was to visit elderly patients in hospital, to assess them for appropriate community support in order to effect their safe discharge. So it struck a personal chord when I came across this wonderful little story some time ago, which has really stuck in my memory. May it stick in yours, too!


Photo

A Social Worker was visiting an old gentleman in hospital, to assess him for services he might need to allow his satisfactory return home. Opening the conversation with a few informal pleasantries to break the ice, he noticed a bowl of almonds on the bedside locker. "They look nice!" he remarked. "You're fond of almonds, are you? I must admit I really like them myself!"

The old man gave a toothless smile. "My favourites!" he said. "My son brought 'em in last night. But I've broken my false teeth, so I can't chew 'em. Shame to waste 'em though. If you like 'em, help yourself!"

Well, not wanting to offend, and having a real weakness for almonds, the Social Worker dipped in. It was a large bowl of almonds, but it was also a long interview, and when he finally gathered up his papers and got up to leave, the bowl was empty.

"Thanks for the almonds," he said. "They were delicious! What a shame that you weren't able to eat them yourself." 

The old man's face creased into a broad, gummy grin. "Oh, I didn't mind too much," he replied. "I was able to suck all the chocolate off 'em before spitting 'em out into that bowl!"


Photo
"I never did like Social Workers!"

THE MORAL OF THE STORY? NEVER TAKE THINGS AT FACE VALUE. THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY SEEM TO BE. AND IN A CHRISTIAN CONTEXT THIS IS NOW, SADLY, ESPECIALLY TRUE, WHEN SO MANY CHURCHES HAVE EMBRACED AND IN TURN PROMOTE ALL MANNER OF DECEPTION. THEY MAY LOOK GOOD ON THE SURFACE, EVEN PRESENT A VERY SOUND-LOOKING STATEMENT OF FAITH, BUT YOU HAVE TO PEEL AWAY THE LAYERS OF THE ONION TO FIND THE REAL TRUTH OF THE MATTER. 

WE NEED TO TRACE THE STREAM BACK TO ITS SOURCE BEFORE DRINKING ITS WATER. WE NEED TO KNOW THE GENUS OF THE BUSH BEFORE PLUCKING ITS BERRIES. WE NEED TO KNOW JUST WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE ALMONDS BETWEEN THE BRANCH AND THE BOWL...



* * * * * * *

"He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap."
(Ecclesiastes 11:4)

"Wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness."
(Ecclesiastes 2:13)

* * * * * * *